Thursday 26 January 2017

My first cover letter.

So, English agents prefer a cover letter to a query.

That's great, because it means they're going to start reading the book, rather than the query. That can't be bad.  I believe in my book. But it's bad because, well... I need to do this:


The fiction sound bite could include:
a. The heroic character
b. The central issue of the story
c. The heroic goal
d. The worthy adversary
e. Action
f. The ending
g. A grabber
h. Or a twist
40 words

 (Stolen shamelessly from here)

The above advice lays out what I need to say in 37 words, and says I can use 40 words to do it.  By my (high-end, super-duper) math skills, I've got three words left to sell the book.  Hmm, let's see...  My favourite three word pitches:

1 - Hello, I'm Ten-Tee.
2 - No Artificial Intelligence?
3 - Who said that?
4 - Boy meets girl.  (This may seem simple, but read the book, and you'll agree it's painfully cruel.)
5 - Everybody loves Packu!

I hate pitching the book without talking about Packu.  He's not important enough to make it into the pitches, but damn if he isn't the coolest.

Right, back to the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment